When I clicked on the first link, I'm pretty sure the clouds parted, rays of sunshine spilled forth over the keyboard, and choirs of angels began singing. I found Christian women, staying at home with their children, and embracing it as a calling. They are being proactive and intentional with their time, their resources, and their children's hearts. Their blogs include all kinds of fun things like recipes and organization tips. But more importantly, they include ideas about weekly Mommy retreats and Mommy Mission Statements.
Sound silly? Maybe to you. But I've been just doggy-paddling for so long. Keeping my head above water. I know I should be making progress in some direction, but the rising water all around me just made me discouraged. And disoriented. I needed to know where I should be heading. I needed a shore to gaze upon and a plan to get me there. And I needed to know that I could make it before my body (read: sanity) completely gave out.
About a month ago, I decided to make a change. I started getting up early, sneaking downstairs to enjoy the quiet. As Fergie might say to find my "center, clarity, peace, serenity" (PLEASE tell me someone knows that song!) To spend some quality time with God and pray for patience to make it through the days. And it worked, for a bit.
And then, if you recall, Little Sister had tubes put in her ears. And her sleeping habits went haywire. I was up with her during the night, and then she was up before 6. And Big Sister decided she was too afraid to go back to sleep without her sister. So much for Mommy getting up before the kids.
Well, the sleep schedule has finally gotten back to normal. And I've been trying to get up again. I've also been praying for patience, but it just isn't coming fast enough. ;)
But after being inspired by these blogs, I've found another way to take action. And since I came down with something (sinus infection?) Saturday night, I had all Sunday morning by myself to work on it. I've drafted my own mission statement for this stage in my life. And I worked on a weekly plan for meals, errands, outings and activities with my girls. I had a (sort of) plan (kind of) filed away in my head (nearly) each week, but it was obviously not affording me the structure or sanity I needed. So I took action.
My next steps include decluttering and making more time for exercise. And limiting my time on the computer (seriously, who needs to check their friend's status updates that frequently?!) But mostly, I'm just going to work to make each small step a habit, not just a new thing to try.
I almost forgot! Here are my new favorite blogs:
Inspired to Action
Passionate Homemaking
Enjoy! And if you feel led, take action!
1 comment:
I felt the same way when I first started reading Lindsay's blog. I so appreciate her sharing her wisdom so faithfully.
I'm absolutely thrilled you've enjoyed the blog so much and that it's inspired you.
I love when you wrote:
"But mostly, I'm just going to work to make each small step a habit, not just a new thing to try."
When I saw that I told my husband, "She totally gets it." I love it when I read a post and can tell that someone really gets it, because I know that these will be lifelong changes.
I'm impressed not just that you've gotten started, but that despite the sleep setback, you're still working at it. Bouncing back is so key because, as moms, we're constantly changing our schedules for one reason or another.
Thanks so much for your encouraging post. You're laying such a wonderful foundation for your girls.
Post a Comment