Monday, March 29, 2010

Egg (and bargain) hunting

(This probably won't actually get posted until Tuesday, because Blogger was having some issues uploading pictures.)

We're good hunters, my girls and I.

They found lots of eggs this Saturday at our church Easter Egg hunt.


I'll be honest, I didn't see them find any. I was about ten minutes behind them because we were running late. I sent my hubby ahead with the girls so they wouldn't miss the beginning of things. When I got there, I had not only missed the beginning. I had missed pretty much everything.


But what I didn't miss was my big girl being sweet, selfless & generous. When a friend of ours and her twin boys arrived late, Big Sister let Daddy take eggs out of her stash to rehide. She watched happily as they hunted for & found her eggs. And she never once even mentioned that they had, in fact, been her eggs. We could not have been prouder.

After the egg hunt, we went to see the Easter Bunny. This time (unlike the Santa Photos) we did not purchase the pictures that showed Little Sister with tears streaming down her horrified face. The girl taking the photos did a great job of distracting her (see the pink egg she gave her to hold?) and we finally caught a semi-happy face.


Next, Big Sis and I went to a birthday party for a boy in her Sunday School class. It was at Pump-It-Up, so she had a blast. Unfortunately, I forgot the camera.

Pump-It-Up was the first of three birthday parties to which we were invited this weekend. The next one was at The Little Gym. Little Sister went too. For the first half of the party, she just stood there, silently taking it all in. But then she wanted to try what the big kids were doing, even though she was a little scared and barely able to keep up. Every time they lined up, she did too. And the only thing she said the whole time was, "I wan' sit by [Big Sis]"


She was very brave and even rolled on this crazy thing three times!


The final party was a princess party after church yesterday. Since I did Pump It Up, I sent Daddy to that one, so no pics.

But back to the theme: hunting. While my girls are becoming good at hunting for Easter eggs, I am becoming addicted to bargain hunting.

I'd gotten a little lazy with my coupons lately. And we were eating out a lot. But I'm back. Not only did I find some great deals for birthday gifts, (I was really worried thinking about where in the budget we'd find funds for three parties!) but I also have been using my coupons again. I got great deals last week on diapers (we still use cloth, but the girls' school does not) and Easter candy at CVS. And today... well today I had my first real taste of Walgreens' register rewards.

For $20 I got: toilet paper, vitamins, two new toothbrushes, toothpaste, floss, intensive therapy conditioner, two bottles of a fiber supplement, a few pieces of Easter candy, and 5 twelve packs of coke. 5! And even better, I still have $4 in Register Rewards to use next time, so really I only spent $16.

I'm feeling good about saving money. I'm checking a few money saving blogs, clipping my coupons, and pinching my pennies. I'm on the hunt.

What are you hunting these days?

No comments: