Saturday, March 20, 2010

Book Review: Kaleidoscope by Patsy Clairmont


The subtitle of this book is "Seeing God's Wit and Wisdom in a Whole New Light." It is a collection of Clairmont's insight into a variety of verses in the book of Proverbs. At the end of each short chapter are some questions for reflection and personalization ("Bits and Pieces") and a list of additional scripture verses ("Held to the Light"). These creative names are just one example of how the kaleidoscope imagery continues throughout the book. Clairmont approaches the proverbs somewhat randomly, or as she puts it, "in a hither-and-yon way, rather than numerically, staying with the kaleidoscopic design of spin and view.

As a devotional reading or topical resource, this is an excellent book. When I sat down to read large chunks at a time, however, I was distracted by the format. This was compounded by the fact that the reflection questions are incredibly open-ended and vague. I think Clairmont did this intentionally so the reader can discern for herself what applications the verse might have in her life. I had a hard time focusing. Sometimes I moved on to the next question, thinking it might help me further reflect. But the next question might be completely unrelated, starting a whole new line of thought. Even in the chapters themselves, Clairmont often jumps around quickly; sometimes it reads like a hyperactive (though sweet, funny and insightful) stream of consciousness.

Aside from the disjointed format, there are great nuggets of truth, wisdom and wit in this book. There's a reason that Patsy Clairmont is a popular speaker and author! I'm going to reread some chapters again, one at a time, to consider her insight a bit more. Maybe that's why I felt the book to be jumbled and lacking cohesion- there was just too much to grasp in a few sittings!



Disclosure of Material Connection: I received this book free from Thomas Nelson Publishers as part of their BookSneeze.com book review bloggers program. I was not required to write a positive review. The opinions I have expressed are my own. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255 : “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.”

No comments: