Little Sister is crawling!!!!
She did it the teensiest bit on Monday, a little more on Tuesday, and this morning she was actually moving a few feet forward. If something is further away, rolling is still her preferred method of mobility. You should see her roll- she would make my grumpy old elementary gym teacher (and coach of the gym club) almost smile. ( And then he would yell, "Faster, Grandma!" Seriously. That guy was a jerk. AND he was the vice principal. But I digress...)
Little Sis has decided that crawling was not a big enough milestone to acheive this week. She has also finally figured out how to get to a sitting position from laying down. This means that she no longer lays in her crib looking up hopefully when I come in to get her after a nap. It also means that if she doesn't feel like taking a nap, she will first sit up, then pull herself up, and finally jump up and down, yelling and holding on to the crib rails like some wild prisoner! It's cute, if it isn't at 4:00 in the morning like last night.
Because she can now do and see so many more things, she is also not sure she wants to waste time nursing. I'm having to give her a cup more often, and I've even included a little bit of whole milk- yet another milestone. Apparently with this kiddo and growing, it's either all or nothing. She seems to be making up for lost time, and she has momentum on her side. I'm excited to see her learning new things, but I'm a little sad too. Hubby & I aren't sure if we will have any more kids (of our own anyway, we definitely want to foster/adopt down the road) so this might be my last little one to nurse and snuggle. These might be my last milestones to anticipate and celebrate.
When Big Sister was tiny, I read some wisdom- on a mom blog, or a parenting book, or babycenter - about mommies, babies, and our ever-changing relationships. We start out as close as humanly possible- carrying our little ones inside, protecting them and providing everything for them. When a baby is born she immediately begins the process of slowly, one stage at a time, becoming less dependent on her mommy. Each milestone that is cause for celebration is also an indicator that we, as mothers, are needed a little less: holding a bottle, sitting up on her own, crawling, feeding herself finger foods, talking (although most of the time moms are still needed for translation!), walking, potty-training... the list goes on and on. Each step my precious girls take can feel like one more step away from me. But even that, upon reflection, is cause for celebration. Isn't my job as a mother to "work myself out of a job?" To develop beautiful, thoughtful, compassionate, well-equipped, whole little people who can bring their own uniquely wonderful perspective and gifts to the world around them? To support them with each step that they take, and then one day say a prayer and watch them take steps on their own?
So, crawl on, little one. But don't get in too big a hurry. And don't think you can ever go far enough away that your mommy won't still be watching, loving and celebrating you.
1 comment:
So sweet and so true! I feel that way with Blake. I'm excited for him to grow and learn new things but I'm also wanting to cherish each day and not rush through it all. I'm not so sure I'll enjoy the day when he thinks I'm not cool and fun to be with!
Post a Comment