I don't remember ever reading a book quite like this one. Ken Wilson approaches prayer from all angles: science, theology, tradition and personal experience. He shares research, ancient practices, and practical tips, all in effort to help the reader embrace a "richer, fuller prayer life."
The first part describes how many today are "mystically challenged"- having a hard time feeling connected to God in their prayer lives, expecting too much or too little, unsure of where to begin or what to do to break out of ruts. He also makes a case that we are all "wired" for prayer and shares research about "praying brains" as proof that it is possible for (and programmed into) all of us. I had a hard time staying interested in some of the scientific portions (and I usually enjoy studying brain and behavior) but found other points quite interesting, like when Wilson reminds us that Christianity began as an Eastern religion until adopted by Rome and Westernized. Then "it's spirituality was overlaid with a dry-as-toast rationalism that squeezed out most of the music and mysticism." That was the line I was waiting to read. I've long lamented that the Church has shied away from ancient prayer practices because they're labeled "Eastern" or "New Age."
Wilson then shares his own journey into deeper prayer. Even though the "practical application" didn't officially start until later, I found resources that enriched my prayer life simply by reading about his.
Finally, the last part of the book is for application. Wilson has a way of recommending practices without removing the mystery or deeply personal, subjective nature of prayer. Nothing feels like a checklist, but rather a consultation with a trusted spiritual advisor.
For anyone who struggles in prayer or people who have the prayer life of a saint, this book offers a fresh perspective and practical advice for a deeper relationship with God.
Disclosure of Material Connection: I received this book free from Thomas Nelson Publishers as part of their BookSneeze.com book review bloggers program. I was not required to write a positive review. The opinions I have expressed are my own. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255: “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.”
No comments:
Post a Comment