Saturday, September 19, 2009

Just Perfect...

Today started out kind of yucky.

DaddyClay had to go to the church super early to get ready for a day of Upward soccer & flag football. Little Sister got up to nurse a little after 6 and never went back to bed, and just when I got her settled in with Baby Einstein so I could have a-cup-of-coffee-and-a-moment-to-myself-so-I-am-not-a-ginormous-grump-all-day-long-thank-you-very-much, Big Sister peeked her head around the corner ready to start her day. (And there is no 1st gear for her in the morning. She wakes up going- and talking- a mile a minute.)

After breakfast and a little playtime, we were getting ready for Big Sister's soccer game. Only I couldn't find her shinguards. And the attic steps were folded up so I couldn't go get the camping chairs. And a train decided to park on the tracks between here and the church. So we were the teensiest bit late to her game. Again. We're that family.

And then when we got there and got Little Sister buckled into the umbrella stroller, the heavens opened up. We had no umbrella. She had no canopy. I had no just a little bit of patience. This was just perfect.

We ran into a family from church who offered us their camping chairs. Daddy tracked down a few umbrella's from the storage room. We settled in on the sidelines, watching the kids play the game in a downpour.

Big Sister kept sticking out her tongue, trying to catch rain drops. Needless to say, she was not the star player this week, either.

Little Sister sat in my lap the whole game. Only once did she ask to "walk" but the rest of the time she was sweetly mellow and snuggly. I guess maybe the early morning wasn't totally a bad thing after all.

At the half, they called the games for rain and the kids rushed under the pavilion to get their stars and their snacks. Little Sis & I stayed huddled in our borrowed chair under our borrowed umbrella until a few people helped us move everything to semi-dry ground.

After everyone had left, the girls and I waited on the hubs and watched with a few others as he & his assistant picked up the balls & goals via golf-carts. We laughed as they attempted donuts in the rain.

Big Sister snuck into the concession stand where they promptly gave her a different kind of donut. I've lost count of how many we've eaten today! (Donuts are the one food I'd need if I were on a desert island. Or anywhere else. Just in case you ever needed to buy me food know that).

We loaded up to go home, cranking the defrost (and heat, since we were all soaked and Big Sis was just wearing her undershirt, since her uniform was in a soggy pile at the foot of her carseat.) Little Sister nibbled on some goldfish and promptly fell asleep. When we got home, I put her in bed, wrapped Big Sis in a blanket in front of Babar, started a big pot of soup, and ran a hot bath for the soggy soccer player.

As I walked downstairs to get Big Sister ready for her bath, it hit me. The chill in the air (helped by my damp clothing). The smell of spiced candles and simmering soup with bay leaves. The snuggly kids and the Pumpkin Spice Latte in the hand of my drenched husband as he walked in the door and turned on a football game. It's Fall.

Just perfect.

No comments: