Monday, November 24, 2008

Who knows what they'll say next...

As I was tying Hannah's shoe the other day, she asked me a strange question. "Mom, what's a loadnose?" My first response was to ask her to repeat herself. Then I thought about the Spanish instruction she is getting at preschool every Thursday, combined with hundreds of episodes of Dora, and wondered if this was a matter of translation. I admitted to Hannah that I had no idea what a "loadnose" was, and asked her why she was asking. I can't remember word for word because she was explaining so quickly, but here is her response:

"You know, the other day when we were outside playing and you told me to watch where I was stepping and Sophie was eating something yucky in the grass. I said 'What is she eating?' and you said 'loadnose.' That kind of loadnose!"

I couldn't stop giggling as I tried to explain to her that what I really meant was that I had no idea what Sophie was eating, and aside from that mischevious dog only one person knew for sure: the Lord. Hannah giggled too. She's a pretty smart kid, and she's always loved vocabulary and funny phrases. I think she got it, but I can't be sure. Lord only knows.

2 comments:

Tracy said...

Perhaps "loadnose" is the Southern version. Precious.

Anonymous said...

i loved it tonight when hannah clapped in church at the most appropriate time.

and by appropriate i mean "awkward".

she is so awesome!