I did it! I cooked Thanksgiving dinner for the very first time. I was fortunate to get to try this big undertaking with just my little family, so there wasn't a bunch of pressure from extended family depending on me to get everything just right. I made a real turkey and just about everything I used to have for Thanksgiving at home. I timed everything almost perfectly too- if we hadn't stopped to document the event with pictures and figure out how to seat our little ones at the dining room table, it would have all been hot from the kitchen.
I feel this officially qualifies me for "grown-up" status. I know that since I am someone's mom (actually two someones) I should already consider myself a grown-up. There are definitely times that I realize I am a full-fledged on-my-own adult: when I pay my mortgage, when my girls are sick and I have to figure out how to best take care of them, when John & I travel on our own, when people I've never heard of sing the national anthem at major sporting events... that kind of stuff. But cooking a whole Thanksgiving dinner is another level of grown-up that I honestly didn't know I had in me. I'm proud of myself.
Now, if I can just get these silly Christmas decorations set up...
2 comments:
You are a grown up! I've been considering buying a turkey to practice making a grown up meal so that I'll be ready when the day comes. :) We are going to be at our house for Christmas so I've debated whether or not to try it then.
I understand what you mean though... I keep thinking, "Am I really grown up enough to..." So, are we old already? I don't feel like it but I think at some point in my life I would have thought someone my age would be considered kind of old.. but we're different right?
One day, I too shall buy a turkey and figure out how to cook it. I'm not so sure I can time it to where it all comes out hot at once, though. I do good to get 2-3 things out on time! I'm impressed by your timing and cooking skills. I'm glad you've gained this knowledge so you can help me when my time comes!
Post a Comment