Friday, November 19, 2010

I had enough!

Over the past few days, I had been growing more and more frustrated with my hair. It had been years since it was so long, and the foggy fall weather, wild children, and other factors left it a tangled, frizzy mess by the end of the day. I was always wadding it up and pulling it back. I was almost ready to pull it out. I'd had enough.

So today I went to get it cut. I told Hubby before I left that I might decide to go short. It had been a while since I took off any real length. I grabbed a coupon for Great Clips, assuring him that if the $9 haircut was a disaster, I'd call my friend/co-worker and beg her to fix it. If she weren't busy packing up to leave town and all of us (boo!) she would be the one cutting it anyway. I was a little nervous as I left; It's pretty tough to mess up a haircut with my curls, but it can happen.

It didn't, though. Actually, it all worked out perfectly. I met a fantastic (and talented) stylist, and had a great time talking with her (and I don't know about you, but I'm usually pretty awkward with haircut conversation). I found out that she lives super close to our church and ended up leaving my phone number with her in case she wants a friendly face if she decides to come on a Sunday or Wednesday. She said she'll be in touch, and I kind of believe it.

Another reason it worked out perfectly: once she started combing out my hair and we saw how long it was when straightened, I found out I could actually spare 10 inches for Locks of Love. I had enough. It was the extra push I needed to cut it all off!

I know people who have intentionally grown their hair extra long for Locks of Love. The process itself was part of their gift, their sacrifice. I kind of feel like I cheated a little, since I just had to cut off the crazy length I had let accumulate over way too long, but it's okay. I had enough, and I hope that it helps.

An added bonus: Great Clips cuts hair for Locks of Love for free. I completely forgot until she rang me up. I had enough to treat myself to some new product!

I'm thankful for being able to give. I'm thankful for a new, easy look and a new friend.

I'm thankful that God is always providing. More than enough.

3 comments:

Anna said...

Emily!! You look SO GOOD!!! I love it! Hooray for you! I'd love to be patient enough to grow my hair long enough to donate it. You are awesome and so is the haircut. Hope you are still just as thrilled with it.

Anonymous said...

I love your hair and love how it happened! I love your giving heart even when you do not plan it. That is Gods gift to you!

Lela Kay said...

I love your bouncy curls! Always have! I have "curls" kinda! I have been embracing them with the help of an awesome product that my mom-in-law, the hairdresser, hooked me up with, but yours are just always beautiful! Glad that it worked out in another way to give! What a perfect "surprise" God gave you, for your good and most importantly, for His glory! Love it!