Sunday, November 15, 2009

Pitiful...

I have the house to myself tonight (well, the girls are here, but in bed asleep) so I wanted to post again to make up for the lack of blogginess this week. But something is stopping me. It's a little silly really, but... well... you'll see.

I am just going to lay it all out there with a pitiful little question:

Is anyone really reading this?

Seriously. I know I've talked to a few of you lately who say things to me about reading something on my blog, but my comments section at the end of each post is starting to look like Big Sister's bag of Halloween candy after this stressful week. (What? Chocolate makes me feel better when I'm stressed! And so do Starburst, and Laffy Taffy, and Now&Laters...)

So I'm going to be a little pathetic and just ask: "Is there anybody out there?" And if so, would you let me know? ON HERE?! (P, this is for you! But not JUST you...) Let's try commenting. You can say anything (well, hopefully not anything... I am asking for encouragement here...) but if you need a jumping off point, how about if you share your own "rather than?"

To get you started, here are some more of my ways I'm trying to continue replacing a negative attitude with a thankful one:
  • Rather than be upset that we had to wait on a train tonight, pushing back our bedtime routine and chipping away at my precious mommy time, I am thankful for the adorable "byebye choochoo" that came from the backseat as we finally crossed the tracks. And the other 50 hilarious things Little Sister is saying every day.
  • Rather than feeling depressed after watching the Lee University Singers at church tonight, feeling old and so far removed from the time in my life when I used to sing more at all, I am choosing to be grateful for the beautiful music and the memories it sparked- especially hearing "The Lord Bless You & Keep You" for the benediction. It made me smile (and sing along- shh!)
  • Rather than feel burdened by the stress of our upcoming kid's choir production and how much there is yet to do/learn, I am feeling so thankful for the kids who came tonight with their lines & solos down pat. I'm very proud of these kiddos and grateful that I get to work with them.
How about you? Will you share yours? Even if you've never commented before? Can you give a crazy mommy who has had a looooong week a little help here? A little motivation to keep on blogging?

Thanks :)

9 comments:

Brooke Parker said...

Ok...first the encouragement....You are an awesome mom. There!

I could have had the house to myself too, but Drew missed John's call and we were VERY busy doing fun stuff....rearranging Avery's room and fixing toilets! Do we have fun or what?!!? As we rearranged her room...I actually put a tv in there. I decided it was a good way to keep her in her room with her toys while watching Dora and Diego instead of them being strung out across the house. So what is she doing at 11 pm you ask??? Straining to stay awake to see the end of Mulan. And THAT is how I am a good mom! HA

Sue-Sue said...

Rather than be sad and selfish that you and your family are so far away and I can't spend as much time with all of you that I would like I am SO thankful that you have this blog to keep me up to date with your lives. It makes me feel more a part of what goes on and I can laugh and cry, feel joy and frustration right along with you. I am also VERY thankful that I had you "up close and personal" for as long as I did and that your parents were so willing to share you with me and your Uncle R.
I log on to this site at least once every day to see what is new in your corner of the world.
I want to reach out and hug you and let you know that "this too shall pass" and you will trade these melt-downs and behaviors for different tantrums as the years pass. But I know that in the moments of high stress and drama that is not what you want to hear. You are doing a wonderful job in so many ways...hold your position and you will be rewarded in the long run. Just always try to remember if you want to die on this mountain today and if in 20 years any of this will matter. If the answer to either one is "yes" gird yourself for the fight. If it is equivical (sp?) or "no" then move on to something else. And remember that despite either girls' remarkable intelligence you still are just dealing with an 18 month old and a 4 year old (who I know thinks she is 14!!) You can also remember what I have often told you as well as my other children(ha!) - "this is the reason mother's in the wild eat their young!!"
I love you!!!

Mary Ann said...

I am reading. I really enjoy your blog.

Meg said...

I'm so glad that you are real on here! You encourage me because I know I'm not the only one about to lose it on certain days. And I'll admit that your babies give me quite a laugh with the things they get into. I'm sure they are much, much, MUCH funnier to read years later for you, though!

Deborah said...

Don't have much time but yes I do read your blog! It's just that when I get a minute to read it I don't always have that extra second(s) to comment. Landon is walking, I'm still working part time for church and trying to start my Mary Kay business! Plus be a good wife, cook/shop for my family, keep my house clean, well really just from being disgusting. Keep writing please, it makes me feel like I still get to see you. Love you lots!!

SJ said...

I read :) But it is hard to tell sometimes, especially if you don't get comments. One thing I try to do, to help build a dialogue more than anything, is to respond to the comments IN my comments. But it does give people incentives to leave you feedback, if they know you're going to answer. Just a thought I had while reading this...

Kaolinmommy said...

Thanks guys :)

I'm sorry if this post sounded super-depressed. Although I was feeling a little discouraged, I didn't mean to worry anyone! Like Sue-sue said, this too shall pass. And with my luck, return again as my hormones continue to cycle out of control. ha!

I love you all and promise not to be such a downer. Thanks for letting me be real, and offering some real feedback.

Deanna said...

Wow. You are feeling a teensy bit pitiful huh? Poor thing! I know how you feel. I often feel the same way. I read your blog. I love your blog. Go on with your bloggy self!

Okay so... rather than getting upset that we aren't sure how we'll pay our property taxes on December 10th, I am thankful that the Lord is giving us one more chance to learn to trust his ways.

Big ol' cyber hug to you!

Deborah said...

I was just reading through your comments and I agree that when you respond to comments it encourages people to comment more. It's kind of boring just to leave a comment and not hear anything back. Just my two cents. However I know w/ two little one and working its hard to always respond.