Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Fall Program

Monday night was the Fall Program at the girls' school. It was Little Sis's first program and one of Big Sister's last. It also completely crept up on us as the next few days (and, who are we kidding, the next two months) start to get hectic. This week alone we have this program, a mom meeting for me (if I make it), a pizza party for Hannah's soccer team, special Veteran's Day events at church, and two days of play rehearsal for the hubby (one of which he will have to miss) for the Upward end of the season celebration- which is one of his biggest nights of the year. I'm tired just thinking about it, and also dreading what will happen when our kids are older and I'm trying to juggle two kids' extracurricular activities.

I felt like I had a glimpse of that elementary school mom stress this week, when I asked Big Sister what she had to wear to her program. Usually, if there is something in particular they want the kids to wear, there is a note sent home. But, I'll be honest, with two of us taking turns picking up during the week, I don't always see the notes. So I asked Big Sister. The day of the program.

Do you know what she said?

"I have to wear a white t-shirt with a flag painted on it."

I thought about it for a second, thinking this sounded more like July program attire, but then I remembered that they were singing a patriotic song (for Veteran's Day, I assume). So maybe the flag shirt was the assigned program-wear.

"Is that something you made at school?" I asked.

"No, we can make it here. You just get some red & blue paint and a white t-shirt..." and she started launching into Martha Stewart type directions. I stopped her before she could say it was a "good thing" to tell her that we didn't have a white t-shirt. Or time for paint to dry. Rather than argue or cause either one of us (although more HER) to stress, I told her we'd talk about it after naptime.

I helped her get upstairs and settled in with some books, and then I called the school. I asked if they were supposed to wear something special, and the first person I talked to wasn't sure. Finally, one of Big Sister's teachers walked by and answered the question. They were just supposed to wear something casual. (yeah right. I've seen these kids- casual would mean some of them were wearing their Christmas dresses. I was going to have to be very careful to find something equal parts "pretty" and "comfortable.")

Before I hung up, I explained to them why I was calling- and how I felt like the mom whose kid tells her the night before the school play that they need to have a turkey costume. Thankfully, my kid was just making up this stuff on her own. And by the end of rest time, she had completely forgotten about it and suddenly remembered the words "casual" and "nice" instead of "paint."

At least I knew what Big Sister was going to be singing. I even helped her practice a few times. Little Sister's program "performance" was going to be a big surprise. She has been singing a lot around the house. She sings, "row row row... row row row." Or "round & round... shh shh shh... beep beep beep" and my personal favorite "A B C eee-eh-gee... NOOOOW I know... now I know."

But it turned out that her class was just playing instruments and "singing along" with a few songs on cd. And Little Sis- well, she shook her intrument once or twice, but really she was just sitting on stage, looking confused and doing her "silent observer" thing. It's funny to me how someone with such a strong personality at home can be so quiet and content to watch in other situations. She definitely doesn't get that from me!

Little Sis on stage. Sorry this is so dark.
I tried to lighten the shadows a little bit, but I should have gotten closer to the stage.

Big Sister's class went last. They were great! She (as usual) took performing very seriously.


But she didn't seem to be nervous. Especially at the end, when the kids were finished and trying to spot their parents in the crowd:


I have some other great pictures that I wish I could share, but I don't have permission to post pics of other peoples' darlings. So these will have to suffice (unless you come by & see them in real life...)

After quickly grabbing punch & cookies, we headed home for the first in a week filled with long nights. I'm praying the girls nap well & sleep in, so that we don't pay for this next week!

No comments: