Big Sister had a dance recital tonight. I know, I know. She's three. You're wondering if I am one of those moms that you see on Toddlers &Tiaras. (What's that? You've never seen it? Am I the only one willing to admit that I am sickeningly intrigued by the trashy train-wreckiness of it all?) Well, I am not one of those moms. At least, I don't think I am. I mean, I wasn't. Until I caught myself spritzing a stray hair with hairspray and applying the teensiest bit of eye shadow on my daughter, in the parking lot of Bi-Lo no less.
Hubby had run in to get some flowers to give our little ballerina after the performance, and I was making sure she was all set to run in and join the other girls. Since we'd never done this before, I wasn't sure what to expect. I didn't want to put a bunch of junk on my three-year-old, but I also didn't want my kid to be the one whose mother didn't fix her up properly. When we got there, some of the little girls were wearing eyeliner and had elaborate prom night hairdos! Big Sister didn't even really have enough hair for a ballerina bun! (I somehow made the tiniest little knot in the back of her hair and pleaded with her not to touch it. She was pretty good about it, actually.)
I should mention that Big Sister's "dance class" is actually just a special part of her time at preschool, where the dance teacher pulls them out for an hour or so to once a week. (No crazy afterschool schedules for our kids just yet, thank you!) When we first signed up, Big Sister was having a hard time at school because she was one of the older kids in her class. So, 1) she was still adjusting to being a big sister and now had what she thought of as "babies" in class with her and 2) she was getting bored with letters & counting and needed a new challenge. Combine that with the fact that the dance teacher offered us a discount because I help out with the curriculum at school, and I was soon ordering tap shoes on ebay. I wasn't sure how much she would like it, or how well she would do, but it turned out to be something she really enjoys.
Also, she is a bit of a drama queen... watching her I wondered if sometimes she was just imagining herself alone on stage, dancing in the spotlight, and keeping up with the others be darned! Need proof? Just look at the poses she struck when I gave her the bouquet of flowers!
I simply could not get the silly girl to look up & smile. She had to pose. Like a diva. Also, whenever anyone said the obligatory "You did a great job" as they passed us on the way out, she would reply, "I know!" We had to have a little talk about accepting compliments graciously. She really was quite adorable to watch, though. I realize I am a bit biased, but see for yourself:
After such an eventful evening, she was exhausted. We took our little dancer out to eat (Red Robin) and brought her home to bed. I told her several times how proud I was of her because of who she is, not just how she did. I hope, after all of the spray-on hair glitter (not my idea) and lip gloss are washed away, and the tights and tutu are packed up (or added to the dress up trunk) that she will remember that most of all.
6 comments:
She is precious-- i cna't get over how big and beautiful she is.
we love the pictures! Thanks for putting them up so quickly. Sorry we missed such a precious event. Tell Hannah that Nana is very proud of her and we love her. Love from all in Oregon!!
She looke so cute, and she did have great form!!!
too cute! I just finished my 5th year of teaching ballet and tap to kids ages 18 months (they take with a parent) to 5 years tap and ballet and we just had recital at the end of May. I am always amazed at how much the 3 and 4 year olds I have are able to remember and perform!
She is beautiful! And did you really use eye shadow?! Shame...stop watching those crazy shows!
That is too cute! I want to enroll Avery in dance.....
Post a Comment