Would you judge me if I admitted that I got them both pop-tarts and sippy cups of milk and turned them loose in their room while I went back to bed? Would it help if I told you I didn't actually go back to sleep, due in part to the hilarious things I kept hearing over the monitor?
First, the girls played with the music boxes. One of them was an electronic one that required no winding, making it possible to play the dagnabbed thing over and over and over again. Then the girls sang along. "We wish you a merry Christmas, we wish you a merry Christmas, we wish you a merry Christmas and a happy New Year!"
Big Sis attempted the second verse. I wondered if she had ever heard of "figgy pudding." Apparently not: "Now bring us some chocolate fudge cake, now bring us some chocolate fudge cake, now bring us some chocolate fudge cake, we want some right now." Ah. My kind of song.
Another time we overheard sweet singing, it was The First Noel. Big Sister knew all of the words. But when she tried to sing it again, Little Sister interrupted. So we heard, "The first Noel, the angel did say... (growling) LET ME FINISH! AAAARRRGH!" No wonder the shepherds were "sore afraid."
Next the girls played with the nativity scene. Or perhaps they just used it as inspiration for dress up. I'm not entirely sure since I was mostly listening in, not wanting to disturb their cute reenactment. Big Sister did a great job telling the Christmas story. Little Sister just tried to play along. At one point, Little Sis said something like, "I'm baby Jesus. How are you?" to which Big Sister replied, "Baby Jesus, I don't think you can talk yet. I'm pretty sure you're too little. You just lay there."
Later, they both asked for boxes to make mangers for their baby dolls.
I'm glad the girls played together so well- a sometimes seemingly impossible thing.
And I'm glad they get what Christmas is all about.
Mostly. ;)
No comments:
Post a Comment