Sunday, December 19, 2010

Song for Sunday: As the years roll along on their way

I love Christmas music, and my tastes vary from classic to cheesy to obscure. But my absolute favorite Christmas Album is Rosemary Clooney's Songs from White Christmas and Yuletide Favorites. This song is a relatively unknown Christmas song from the album. I had to search around to find the lyrics, and I ended up reading them in this amazing old LIFE magazine (the lyrics start on page 49). I'm pretty sure this is the only real Christmas song Rodgers and Hammerstein ever wrote. You can listen to a bit of it here. Or, just get Rosie's album. You won't be sorry...


Happy Christmas, Little Friend
Words by Oscar Hammerstein, 2nd
Music by Richard Rodgers

The soft morning light of a pale winter sun
Is tracing the trees on the snow,
Leap up little friend, and fly down the stairs,
For Christmas is waiting below.
There’s a tree in the room running over with stars
That twinkle and sing to your eyes,
And under the tree there are presents that say
“Unwrap me and get a surprise.”

Happy Christmas, little friend,
May your heart be laughing all day.
May your joy be a dream you’ll remember
As the years roll along on their way,

As the years roll along on their way,
You’ll be showing your own kid a tree.
Then at last, my friend, you’ll know
How happy a Christmas can be.


No comments: