Because her birthday is later this week, we went ahead and celebrated with her preschool class today. It was bittersweet, watching the kids sing to her- kids we've watched grow up since the time Big Sis started at the center before she turned two. Some of them we'll see on soccer teams or the occasional run-in. But they'll never again be the important part of her life that they have been for the last three years.
She'll know absolutely no one at her new school. I think it scares her, but probably not as much as it scares me. I wish I could turn the teacher part of my brain off- the one that knows how mean kids can be, how scary the big kid hall can seem, how lonely some kids seem even in a roomful of classmates. I've been praying for this transition, for her teacher, for her friends. I have faith in God's provision and protection. I have faith in my spunky, friendly, compassionate kiddo.
But I'm freaked out. I don't feel very prepared. I've poured over the packet they handed us at Open House this evening, but there are still a million questions left unanswered. There is a kindergarten parent meeting on August 17th, to teach us about rules and procedures and all of that fun stuff. But what do we do for the two weeks our kids attend school before then? I don't "wing it" very well.
And then there are the things upon which I refuse to let myself dwell- trying to discern what kind of teacher this new woman will be, thinking that there wasn't much room for play in that kindergarten classroom, hoping Big Sis isn't bored since she is already reading at a 2nd or 3rd grade level, praying I get my head together enough to sign and return papers, send lunch money, pack snacks, and get her to school by 7:50 every day... you get the point. I'm trying not to doubt myself or anyone/thing else before giving us all a chance to succeed at this kindergarten thing. I'm going to keep an open mind. Or at least I'm going to try.
Tomorrow is my last weekday home with both of my girls until Labor day. Thursday, Big Sister begins a new stage in her life, and, really, so do I. Who knows what it will bring? Maybe we'll be GREAT at this elementary school gig.
The future is wide open.
2 comments:
I'll pray for you Emily! I can only imagine how hard that will be (although I know my turn will be here before I know it.) Is it all day kindergarten in GA?
Last year my friends (who had kids starting kindergarten) and I met at the playground of the school a week or so before school started and we spent some time praying for the kids and teachers. It seemed to help. I know you only have one day left, but just a thought.
Ah-h-h Em! Another milestone reached. As hard as it is, embrace it, enjoy it. You will never again - at least not until Big Sis is at least in her 20's! - know as much or have as much influence on her. It will be all about "the teacher said", "the kid(s) at school said", etc and before you know it she will be starting her senior year of high school and you will wonder where the heck the years went. Or better yet, her daughter will be starting the kindergarten trek and you will remember those first hours in the delivery room....
The whole school thing can be very intimidating for parents as well as the students but I know that God will surround you with peace about it all. I know it is easy for me to say but try to trust yourselves, your instincts, and most of all that with God you will manage beautifuuly. You may forget snack, lunch money, papers. So what. You will remember them the next day or you may have to make a mad dash back to the school. Won't be the end of the world. If I had to have my five year old AT school by 7:50 AM (!!UGH!! every single day you can be sure something would get missed occasionally. As long as she is dressed and has shoes on- and not necessarily the right feet! - it will all be good! And just think of the stories you will be able to tell later on!! HA!!
I too am praying for all of you, her teacher, and her classmates that this will be a wonderful transition for all of you...
Post a Comment