Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Return of Rather Than...

Last night I was all set to write the rantiest (yes, I think I made that word up) blog post in the world. Okay, probably not in the world, but maybe in my world. Or at least in my blog world, which mostly consists of couponing advice and Christian mommy blogs.

But there are a few of you who rant from time to time, and I love you for it.

And I was all set to outrant you all.

But I was too tired. A nearly three-and-a-half-hour bedtime battle (in which I was repeatedly tag teamed) zapped the rant right out of me. I wrote some fussy status on facebook and sent a few whiny text messages to the Hubs, but I didn't have the energy to rant.

And I'm glad. Because now, rather than ranting, I can try to have some perspective.

Back in November, when I was overwhelmed and numb and just beginning to realize I needed to do something to save my sanity, I wrote this post. I found ways to be thankful in my less-than-perfect circumstances.

Yesterday, I tried to embrace (another) evening at home alone with the girls by playing lots and making pancakes for dinner. Big Sis had skipped her nap and hasn't been sleeping, so by dinnertime she was a mess. She had no patience for anything, including the pancakes, which were too fluffy (?!) and wouldn't stay on her fork. She cried and hit the table or threw something after. every. single. bite.

I took numerous deep breaths and tried to remind her that a lot of her troubles were about her attitude. Instead of getting angry about her fork issues, why not be thankful for yummy fluffy pancakes? Why not thank God that we have food at all? Why not be thankful for a mom who made you something special and soft so you could swallow it easily per your request?!?

Fast forward to today, as I thought "I need to work on a blog post. I've got so many things to rant about, this will be good..." and that lesson I prayed my four-year-old would learn echoed in my thoughts.

It was joined by another lesson I've been learning: the work of the Holy Spirit to bring about change and fruit in our lives is sometimes uncomfortable. It takes practice, something I've never really liked to do. God has reminded me over and over that each small challenge I face during the day has the potential to help me build character. IF I choose to respond accordingly.

So, that long explanation was just to say that I'm trying, with God's help, to turn each rant into a "rather than":

  1. Rather than spending any more time complaining about bedtime battles, I'm trying to be thankful that my children have warm beds and a safe place to sleep, and that they have the energy and strength (and persistence) to fight me. I'm also using it as a reminder to pray that they will soon learn to channel such determination to less, er, frustrating endeavors.
  2. Rather than complaining that I've gained back some of the weight I lost post-IUD because I've been stress eating, dining out or staying home by myself at night, I choose to thank God that I have the problem of too much- instead of too little- to eat. I will also use this as a reminder not only to try to take better care of myself, but to pray and provide for those whose problems are not flabby bellies, but rather empty ones.
  3. Rather than lamenting my three dead baskets of marigolds (no hanging basket has ever survived a summer on my direct-sunlight front porch) I will celebrate the one that remains (and try to keep it alive).
  4. Rather than fuss about being a "softball widow" or complain because my husband is gone nearly every night, I will thank God for a husband who is out late at night because he is serving and ministering to others, and who tries to make the most of the time he does have at home.
  5. Rather than griping about the red and blue popsicle stains on my guest room comforter, I will be glad that I have a husband who stayed home with two sick kiddos so I could work my teensy part-time job, and who remembered to give them a snack. (Oh yeah, and I'm also just thankful for bomb pops- they put regular frozen treats to shame!)
  6. Rather than stewing over the continual parade of roofers who keep ringing our doorbell and shoving fliers into our door, I'll be thankful that "storm damage" for us involves the loss of a few shingles, rather than our home or our lives.
  7. Rather than feeling cooped up inside, I'll remember the great opportunity and responsibility it is to be a mom, even when it is less than glamorous. (Is it ever really glamorous? Maybe for Angelina Jolie...)
  8. Rather than getting discouraged by financial hardships brought on by two surgeries in two months, I'm trying to be thankful that we have insurance to help with some of the expense and steady jobs to offer a glimmer of hope of paying the balance soon. Many others are not so fortunate.
  9. Rather than getting bent out of shape because Sophie is currently laying on my nice, what we call "decoration blanket" (which means DO NOT cover up with this throw, it is not for you) and making it smell like dog feet, I'm just happy she is not chewing up something she shouldn't or barking to prematurely end naptime.
  10. And finally: Rather than beating myself up over my (many) shortcomings as a mom, I will bask in the love and forgiveness offered to me by a God who loves me in spite of the messiness of me. How He loves us! I was reminded of this after watching the following video about this song by John Mark McMillan, which Shaun Groves shared on his blog. Enjoy.



No comments: