Friday, February 5, 2010

Sweet stationery & help for Haiti

These are banana bark cards handmade by a Haitian man named Gustav Cadet. Aren't they wonderful?

After the quake, I was looking for something our church's children's ministry could do to raise a little money and awareness for Haiti. I found Haiti Partners, an organization that came out of Beyond Borders with the intention of focusing on one geographic area, through the Sojourners blog. Haiti Partners has an amazing ministry focused on education, discipleship and leadership training for the people of Haiti. Their blog has had video updates about the devastation in Haiti from the program's co-director John Engle. Some of the videos are encouraging, some are heartwrenching. All of them have helped me to feel more connected to this place that has been heavy on my heart for three weeks now.

After spending some time watching the videos on the blog, I read about the Handmade Haitian Greeting Cards that not only provide a living for the people who make them, but also raise awareness for Haiti Partners' work. I decided to e-mail for more information (the organization is based out of Florida, so the offices were completely intact). I felt a little silly asking, a few days after the quake, to order greeting cards. What difference could a few hundred dollars make? Was I one of thousands who were joining the bandwagon right now? But I decided those were stupid doubts and I send the e-mail anyway. I wanted to do something, even if it had to be on a small scale. As an advocate for Compassion International, I know very well what one or two people and a few hundred dollars can do to change lives and raise awareness.

The next day, I got a response. From John Engle himself. He was in Haiti, and he took the time to respond to me and forward the e-mail to someone else from his office back in the states. She contacted me soon, and I asked if I could make the initial donation for several cards, and then "resell" them for donations to those in our church, friends & family, etc.

Yesterday I got a shoebox full of beautiful handmade Haitian greeting cards. I couldn't wait to share them with you, and I can't wait to share them with the people I see at church. I'm hoping to be able to teach our kids from Mom's Morning Out or Kids Worship how they can make a big difference by doing "small things with great love" for other people.

Here is a video of Gustav & his family, although I think it is rather old since it still refers to Beyond Borders. I've asked the great gal at Haiti Partners, Suzanne, to let me know how they have faired after the earthquake. I'll let you know what I hear.



It has been three weeks since the earthquake. The news out of Haiti is more about missionaries being held on kidnapping charges than it is about people who are still hungry and homeless. But the rebuilding will continue long after most have forgotten. Maybe we can tuck some little cards in the mail to a few of our friends- or set them on our nightstands- to remind us all to keep praying and supporting God's work in Haiti.

I'm inviting those of you who know me personally to join me in this endeavor. I wouldn't ask complete strangers, or web-friends, to send me money and trust me to do the right thing with it. I will, but you don't know that. If you don't know me from Adam and want to send money somewhere, try Compassion. Or visit the Haiti Partners site yourself and make a donation.

But if you're a loved one, or church family member, or friend from college, etc. and you want to have some fabulous notecards handmade by a Haitian man in order to provide for his family, please let me know. The cards cost about $2 each, but I'd accept any donation. I'm just going to try to raise what I can & send it back to Haiti Partners to continue their work (and rebuilding) in Haiti.

It's not much, but it's all I can do right now. I'm still thinking about Matthew 25 and trying to be faithful in the few things. I'm far from a "good and faithful" servant, but I am trying to serve, nonetheless.

No comments: