This morning Lydia crossed another small milestone. It wasn't anything like crawling or saying any special words, but it was one of those moments where I thought, "okay, you're at that point." I realized while trying to shovel pears & cereal in her messy little mouth (and dodging her chubby little fist as it grabbed for the spoon) that she now needs to hold her own spoon while I feed her. She doesn't do anything with it but bang it on the high chair tray. It sometimes makes it into her mouth, but she certainly isn't feeding herself yet. Try to tell her that, though!
It made me reflect on my relationship with God. How often in our lives is God trying to give me good things, to offer me nourishment, to provide exactly what I need, and I get preoccupied with the way He is delivering it. Or worse, I try to take care of myself. I might be pretty proficient at spooning baby food (especially when compared to Lydia) but in these times with God, I bet I look like a clumsy baby grasping for something I'll never be able to master. How much better it would be just to sit back and receive it from THE Master!
When Lydia starts reaching for the spoon, I immediately start to wonder: Is she finished? Does she not like this flavor? Maybe she has a bubble or needs a sip from her cup. Is she reaching for more or trying to push it away? I don't always know what she needs, but I want the best for her so I try. Usually, I do a pretty good job. Here's what Jesus says about that: "If you, then, though you are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father in heaven give good gifts to those who ask him!" (Matthew 7:11) I am going to try to give up my own feeble attempts at holding the utensil, and instead look to God with excited expectation.
1 comment:
Ok....she is starting to look ALOT like Hannah in these pics!
Post a Comment